Low-power, wide-area network will provide connectivity and support for commercial service providers
Camarillo, California – September 30, 2015
Semtech (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors, today announced its LoRa® RF technology will be integrated in a large low-power, wide-area network deployed by French mobile network operator Bouygues Telecom, in partnership with leading communications company Sagemcom. The network, based on Semtech’s open LoRaWAN™ standard, will enable commercial service providers to take full advantage of the Internet of Things (IoT) movement to offer smarter, more efficient solutions for urban planning, infrastructure management, utility usage and more.
These solutions will include tens of millions of connected LoRa-based sensors spread across urban and rural areas to more efficiently manage, monitor and control things such as energy usage in buildings; traffic, parking and lighting conditions in smart cities; natural resource consumption in homes and businesses; early warning detection systems for fires, avalanches and floods; tracking devices for vehicles, people and pets; and commercial systems for supply chain management, mobile payments and shelf stock rotation.
Two early adopters of the new LoRa-based network are Schneider Electric, a global specialist in energy management with operations in more than 100 countries, and the Colas Group, a leader in the construction and maintenance of transport infrastructure around the world. Schneider Electric will use the network to detect energy consumption as part of its Issy Grid project, which is the first operational district level smart grid in France, while the Colas Group plans to use LoRa floor sensors to detect available parking spaces in the city.
Bouygues Telecom’s IoT network was announced in March and deployed in June in Grenoble, France, and this expansion, scheduled to deploy by the end of this year with Sagemcom, will cater to about forty percent of France’s population. Semtech’s sensors provide unprecedented range and penetration for the network and allow solution providers to access real-time, raw user data using cloud-based data analytics reporting processes for ease of use.
“Bouygues Telecom’s rapid network expansion demonstrates the confidence they have in deploying a LoRaWAN-based network for commercial use,” said Mohan Maheswaran, Semtech’s CEO. “We believe this network will provide a solid platform for the delivery of smart new IoT products and services from commercial service providers and members of the LoRa Alliance.”
Semtech, along with Bouygues Telecom and Sagemcom, is a founding member of the LoRa Alliance, a fast-growing ecosystem of partners that aim to standardize LoRaWAN globally and provide an open platform to scale IoT, M2M and smart city applications. The standardized LoRaWAN communication protocol has created an ecosystem of pre-certified solutions, including modules and connected sensors that enable solution providers and telecom operators globally to more easily integrate their technologies.
Key Features of LoRa RF Technology:
- Long Range: A single LoRa base station enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage, while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
- Low Cost: LoRa reduces both upfront infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
- Standardized: LoRaWAN ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.
- Low Power: The LoRaWAN protocol was developed specifically for low power and enables unprecedented multi-year battery lifetime.
- The LoRa Alliance is currently accepting new members and will be hosting an open house and all members meeting on November 9-10 in Rotterdam, Netherlands. For more information or to register, contact email@example.com.
- For more information regarding LoRa, Semtech is hosting free virtual workshops this fall. Register here.
- For more detailed information and hands-on training with a complete starter kit, register for an upcoming LoRa Boot Camp here.
- LoRa Community video: http://www.semtech.com/video/lora-community-video.html.
- To learn more about LoRa wireless solutions: http://www.semtech.com/wireless-rf/lora.html.
- LoRa FAQs: http://www.semtech.com/wireless-rf/lora/LoRa-FAQs.pdf.
- For technical support or general product inquiries, contact Semtech’s support team.
- For quarterly product updates, sign up for Semtech’s e-newsletter Inside Circuit.
- Find Semtech on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+.
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors for high-end consumer, computing, communications and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
Pauline Cadena, Public Relations, Telephone: (805) 389-2755